Two fun facts about York. One, York is one of the few cities left in Europe that still has a wall surrounding most of the city. It isn't the Great Wall of China, but it is still pretty impressive. Two, Guy Fawkes was born and grew up in York (that one was for all the V for Vendetta fans). York isn't that large o a city. It doesn't take too long to get from one side of the city to the other. Of course while I was there I had to go to the cathedral. Not much different than others I have seen, just HUGE, and had a museum that people aren't allowed to take pictures in. In that museum it was the history of the church and how old it was and how there is tons of roman influence. But the coolest thing by far in that museum was the 34 ct diamond that was placed a grail that was used during church services when the church was the central governing power of the land.
It was a day of museums in York because we went to another museum but this one was pretty much the history of human life from some point in time (I don't really know but we did have guns). There was wide variety of the different aspects of life: war, shopping, home life, fashion, and toys. My favorite part was the toys because I'm a kid at heart.
Overall York is a perfect town for a day trip.
I know that what most of you care about hearing, my trip to Liverpool, the birth place of The Beatles. But doing Beatles related things were not first things we did in Liverpool. We went to where the local Liverpool Football (soccer) Club plays.
I know that what most of you care about hearing, my trip to Liverpool, the birth place of The Beatles. But doing Beatles related things were not first things we did in Liverpool. We went to where the local Liverpool Football (soccer) Club plays.
The stadium holds about 45,000 which is an extremely small compared to all the other stadiums of teams that they place against. I have become slightly interested by football now, but I probably won't continue to watch it when I leave the UK.
So after that we went on the Magical Mystery Tour. This was our tour bus.
Badass, right? Well so was our tour guide. He has been a dj at the Cavern for quite some time and has worked with Paul McCartney every time he comes to Liverpool. Some of you may be wondering if Paul is actually a nice person behind the scenes, well this is the story our tour guide told us about working for Paul a couple years ago. Our tour guide was working with Paul at a show after they had been working together for a while. Paul just walks up to our tour guide and signs his backstage pass. Our bus driver asks "What did you do that for?" Paul replied "Well we have worked together for a while and you never asked for my autograph, but that autograph isn't for you, it's for your daughter. I know she is only 5 but some day she will be going to college and I want you to sell this then to help pay for her education."
Pretty nice guy if you ask me.
Now back to the tour. We stopped and saw the houses where each one of The Beatles grew up, Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, The Cavern, and urinals that are priced at 2 million dollars at the Philharmonic (John Lennon would use these urinals all the time because this was his favorite pub).
Badass, right? Well so was our tour guide. He has been a dj at the Cavern for quite some time and has worked with Paul McCartney every time he comes to Liverpool. Some of you may be wondering if Paul is actually a nice person behind the scenes, well this is the story our tour guide told us about working for Paul a couple years ago. Our tour guide was working with Paul at a show after they had been working together for a while. Paul just walks up to our tour guide and signs his backstage pass. Our bus driver asks "What did you do that for?" Paul replied "Well we have worked together for a while and you never asked for my autograph, but that autograph isn't for you, it's for your daughter. I know she is only 5 but some day she will be going to college and I want you to sell this then to help pay for her education."
Pretty nice guy if you ask me.
Now back to the tour. We stopped and saw the houses where each one of The Beatles grew up, Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, The Cavern, and urinals that are priced at 2 million dollars at the Philharmonic (John Lennon would use these urinals all the time because this was his favorite pub).
My favorite place was probably The Cavern. This is where The Beatles would play all the time when they were just starting off and into their later years. Tons of other artists have played there. In fact they have a wall of fame outside for those artists and bands. It is literally 3 floors underground and artists still play there and it is still a nice pub... just really crowed and loud, but that is to be expected.
Overall it was a great weekend, and I would totally go back to Liverpool any day of the year because there is so much of the city I didn't get to see. I would give this trip an A. Not an A+ because one more day would have been wonderful.
Goodbye for now..

Hi Ryan, Your Aunty G checking in again. Soooooo, Sooooo, jealous that you made it to the cavern before me, but very cool for you all the same!!!
ReplyDelete"They Say It's Your Birthday" "Happy Birthday Too You" Don't know if the Beatles ever sung that at the cavern, but here's wishing you a very happy birthday today. Going to Raise a tall one in celebration? - you won't legally be able to do that on your birthday again for awhile!
I will be actually. A bunch of friends are taking me out to dinner at a pub.. I don't know if the Beatles ever sang that is the Cavern.. You should really save up and go. Liverpool is just an amazing town in general. They had Picasso's work at an art gallery there, but we didn't have enough time to go and see it. Sad Day. Thanks for the birthday wish.
ReplyDeleteHey Ryan, AG again...
ReplyDeleteHope your birthday was fun and that you didn't partake in too much of the brew.
Wondered if you were going to be anywhere near where the British Open Golf Tournament is being played in Scotland this weekend at St. Andrew's?
Speaking of artwork - if you are going to London before you head back home to the states, you should check out the Victoria and Albert Museum - LOTS of COOL stuff there. REALLY, REALLY OLD STUFF, but neat!