13 June 2010

So far... amazing

Well folks the internet in my room is being very unreliable even when it works.

Life has been pretty exciting so far. On my no sleep Saturday I got to the University of Stirling (the Uni as they like to call it here). It is amazingly gorgeous here, the trees and grass are so green, there are huge hills and castles everywhere. I spent most of my time on Saturday getting to know people, since there are 65 of us it is a little hard. Nevertheless, I have already made some close friends. BIG NEWS!!! I found 3 other people who can’t go on the Isle of Skye trip so we are going this Friday through Sunday, so don’t expect any posts from 18th through the 20th. Now back to my new found friends, most of them are actually from the Midwest but 1 person is from Canada, 1 from India, and 1 from South Africa. Everyone here is super nice, even the people from New Jersey (Yes, I did expect Jersey Shore type people and I was wrong).
At the end of a long day of waiting at the airport, being tired, and unpacking most of us headed to the pub. It was really nice, we watched USA versus England. The first alcoholic drink I bought here was StrongbowIt is a cider so it has a kinda sweetness to it that I enjoyed. We also had hamburgers and skewers off the grills. Here is a picture of the place.


This is what every store or home looks like in Stirling.
Then I came home to sleep in my room. Yes my own room. This is what it looks like so I don’t have to explain.

It is nice place to live, the shower is strange though. You know some faucets in public bathroom and you have to push down on them and they only let water out for so long before the raise up again. Same idea, I have to push a button every 2 minutes and it gets really annoying. Waking up was fine on Sunday because the beds are decent.
Sunday was out orientation day. We first went to Airthrey Castle (It is the actually home to the law school on campus). Got talked to there about unexciting things. Went on a tour of our campus. Then came back to see/hear this waiting for us.

He was pretty good, but very very loud. Then we got talked to again. After that though we got a coach bus tour of the local villages and Stirling. We went to Dunblane Cathedral, The Robert Bruce of Scots monument , and Stirling Castle. The tour continued on foot where we actually walked a little around town to see things where the bus couldn’t take us: The church and exact spot where King James VI was crowned, the old jail, the Thistle (pretty much a mall), and the local version of Wal-mart to pick up groceries. I already of tons of pictures that I am not posting on here so you will have to actually come talk to me if you want to see all of them.
Class start tomorrow so wish me luck. Oh yeah and you all know how UW-Eau Claire is invested with squirrels, well we have rabbits. TONS AND TONS OF RABBITS!! And swans too.

See…

3 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    Your blog is riveting. Good luck with classes tomorrow and keep us posted please?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What classes are you taking? Are there any interesting ones like GEOLOGY?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, no. I am taking one Photography and two Marketing classes.

    ReplyDelete