15 June 2010

Welcome Back

Sorry about not posting yesterday, I was in Stirling until about 12am and just didn't feel awake enough. But anyways, as you probably know from facebook I have been having some issues with google and blogger, but everything worked out in the end. The other exciting news, I got a PHONE... yeah, phones here are super cheap and so are the plans. My phone is the cheapest the store had, it is about 5 US dollars, and I put 30 dollars down for minuets and texting. By putting 30 dollars (20 pounds) I got 200 min of free international calls, but it only lasts for 30 days. After that it costs 11 cents (7 pence) a min. Otherwise texting people in the UK, my classmates with phones is 15 cents (10 pence). So overall it is pretty dang cheap.

Well now I guess I can tell you about the class I had yesterday. Photographing the Urban is now 4 hrs of straight lecture at least that is what it was yesterday. We may get to actually use a dark room on a later date. Our first assignment is to read a bunch (Which Karen said she never does) and to take some pictorialist photos. Pictorialism is a genre of photography stresses more on the view point, atmosphere and feeling of a photo, rather than the subject. It started in the late 19th century due to the introduction of cheap cameras that anyone could use, so photographers started editing photos in the field and dark room to produce more feeling in a picture. We are not allowed to edit the photo using computer software, just by our camera settings, breathing on the lens and putting things like candy wrappers in front of the lens to distort the picture. Here are three of my attempts at pictorialism.


I have no idea what to expect in tomorrow's Scottish Branding class. It is marketing, and that is my minor, but not having taken a marketing class yet so I don't know anything. It should be okay, I guess. I will just keep you posted on that.
We went into town today. Obviously so I could get my phone, but we also needed to get our photos developed for class. I have about 90 pages to read of our first text book by Monday as well. Oh yeah and text books are super cheap. I bought mine and it was about 13 dollars. But then again it is just a book on the history of photography and it pretty small.

Isle of Skye trip is the weekend and I am super pumped. It consists of the Wallace Monument, Isle of Skye, Loch Ness, the castle where Highlander was filmed, and many other things. Then hopefully the weekend after a couple of us are going to go down to London for the weekend. I guess I don't have much else to tell ya, Brazil beat North Korea though. Yeah I watch futball here. Class at 8am tomorrow, so goodnight ya'll. Just so you guys have something to look at here are some pictures of the stain glass work of the Dunblane Cathedral and the Church of the Holy Rude.


-Ryan

1 comment:

  1. Using a darkroom to develop photographs is so much fun- I hope you get a chance to do it.
    I also really love the second of your three pictorialism photos- is that one where you breathed on the lens to fog it up?
    The first photo is really quite beautiful as well, come to think about it. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete